Careers are important to all of us and to thrive in our respective careers, we stop at nothing. But what does that do to our mental strength? We may not realize this but emotional intelligence and feedback are very crucial for us. We will now discuss why this is the case and how you can use this to enhance the quality of your life.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Intelligence is the ability to acquire ideas, knowledge, and skills and being able to use them. Emotional intelligence is the same thing, but only for your emotions. To put it simply, your ability to understand and control your emotions is your emotional intelligence.
The Units of Emotional Intelligence
Emotional intelligence has 5 units or components. They are- Self-Awareness, Self-Regulation, Motivation, Empathy, and Social Skills. We will talk about all of them below.
- Self-Awareness: Self-awareness is the ability to understand yourself. You, an individual, separate from your family, friends, and your surroundings. Self-awareness is how you consciously know about you- your strengths, weaknesses, motives, desires, goals, etc. Your confidence, your ability to laugh at your own mistakes, the ability to know how you are perceived by others are some of the characteristics that you are an emotionally mature person.
- Self-Regulation: Self-Regulation means how good you are at regulating or control yourself. The ability to control your anger in a difficult situation, to control your urge to speak out somewhere you shouldn’t or even the ability of thinking before speaking are all part of self-regulation.
- Motivation: Sometimes life throws you a punch so hard that you don’t feel like punching back. Motivation is the reason for you to punch back. Simply put, motivation is why you do a particular thing or act in a particular way. It’s a reason to wake up every day and keep fighting. It’s the reason to learn how you can improve your life, and the reason to keep going regardless of how hard it is to carry on.
- Empathy: Empathy is being able to understand what the other person is feeling. It’s like putting yourself in their shoes and see the world from their point of view. You will have much empathy if you have good self-awareness.
- Social Skills: Social skills is every skill you need to interact in a good way to everyone around you. Introverted people usually have less social skills and extroverts more. That’s ok because it can be learned from experience. Good social skills will make lots of situations easier for you.
Importance of Emotional Intelligence and Feedback
You may already have a good idea of how important emotional intelligence is to us. If you read through the 5 units of emotional intelligence you can see how each of them affects our lives and thus our careers. Getting feedback on your emotional intelligence is important too, because that way you can work on improving them.
Being able to learn about ourselves as a coach Santa Barbara and how to act around others are crucial for our careers. We hope you find your motivation and work on your emotional intelligence.